Sunday, April 25, 2010
Back on my bike
When I picked out daycare, convenience was pretty high on the list of qualifications. I actually found the Learning Zone because I biked past it every day. I had an idea that I might be able to continue biking to work after little Lil arrived, if daycare was right on my path. Well Friday, inspired by my sister's recent bike trip from Houston to Austin and the gorgeous spring weather we've been having, that dream came true and I got back on my bike! Of course the dream was modified a bit by reality. Dropping V off early and picking her up late gives me less time with her which is not ideal and I almost bailed about a thousand times due to irrational 3am fears about falling off my bike or forgetting one of our bags. I had to carry 2 pumps (breast and tire) on my bike. Kids under one aren't allowed on bikes in MA, so I had to drive to daycare and then bike from there. However, I was able to work around all those hurdles and getting back on my bike for the 4.5 miles of hills between daycare and work felt GREAT! After a year and a half hiatus, all of my old riding instincts came back and I even remembered some of the old pot holes. I could definitely feel that I hadn't been on my bike in a while, but surprisingly I wasn't as out of shape as I feared. I guess carrying around a 20lb baby all the time is somewhat of a workout. Nine miles of biking hills each day definitely counts as good exercise and it just enough of a decent cardio workout. This isn't going to be something that I'm going to be able to do everyday, but I'm so glad I'm going to be able to do it at all! I am going to have to find a better system for securing my breast pump on my bike though. Midway through my ride home, I hear a thud and looked back in horror to see my pumping bag (including a full day's supply of precious milk) lying in the road. Luckily no one ran over it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My friend Elizabeth wrote: "I get exhausted thinking about how much biking your daughters do!! Where did they get those genes? It is really wonderful that they both want to bike for charity and better health research." I'm proud of my daughters for inspiring each other to set such laudable goals. Love, Mom
ReplyDelete